Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Freedom?

I was in the reading room when "freedom" popped into my mind.  What is freedom? Who has it? As a military Vet, I fought for freedom, right?  But what did we get?

I can't burn burn wood outside in my township. Fire ordinance.
I can not add an addition on the garage or house without a $ permit.Permission.
I can not drive without a license. I can not own a car/bike without insurance.
I can not drive my bike, with a firearm, from PA to Florida without knowing the State laws of each State. Yes in PA, Yes in De. No in MD, Yes again in VA, Yes in NC, no in SC, Yes in Ga but not in a restaurant, and yes in Fl.  Crazy, huh?  Free, no.

I offer to you all a quote from a very smart man...
Political power means capacity to regulate national life through national representatives. If national life becomes so perfect as to become self-regulated, no representation becomes necessary. There is then a state of enlightened anarchy. In such a state every one is his own ruler. He rules himself in such a manner that he is never a hindrance to his neighbor. In the ideal State, therefore, there is no political power because their is no State.
Mohandes Gandhi
November 17, 1921.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment