Wednesday, April 7, 2010

More Freedom

So my last blog post was talking about freedom, and right after that I happen to catch this story in the news from Maine. 
About two dozen women drew a crowd of onlookers when they shed their shirts and marched downtown in Maine’s largest city to promote what they call equal-opportunity public toplessness.
Organizer Ty MacDowell said the point of Saturday’s march in Portland was that a topless woman out in public shouldn’t attract any more attention than a man who walks around without a shirt.
The Portland Press Herald reports that by the end of the march, more than 500 people had amassed — a mix of marchers, young men snapping photos, oglers and people just out enjoying a sunny, warm day.
It’s not illegal for a woman to be topless in public in Maine, and police said there were no incidents or arrests.

So this is what I was talking about. Who says what is freedom and what is offensive?  I respect a woman's right to bare her breasts if she chooses.  But as you can see from the picture, there are many men snapping pictures and offensively ogling.  I occasionally take of my shirt when I am cutting the grass on a hot day.  I always try to get sun at the pool.  So why shouldn't a woman?  This great country was founded by Puritans seeking religious freedoms. Back then woman were property.  So as woman progressed and were equally recognized as citizens the laws holding them hostage were never changed. AND what is their worse enemy?  Other woman.   We make nursing mothers hide their breast as they feed their baby. We make woman cover these breast because MEN see them as sexual objects.  They are not genitalia, so they do not need to be covered.  I have seen woman with very small breasts, and I have seen men with rather large breasts.  One can uncover at will, the other hide in shame.
Now don't get me wrong.  I don't think men should be walking down the street with no shirt on, or going to work in no shirt.  But anywhere a MAN can be routinely seen without a shirt, a woman should have the same FREEDOM.  Her choice, not societies.  Freedom ain't free. 
Last thing on this subject.  I am predicting that if woman's breast were more viewable, in a couple of years it wouldn't be any big deal.  No one will die, no one would ever be hurt, and it would become the normal day in the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment