Friday, April 30, 2010

What do you think?

Going out in style

I remember when I was very young going with my parents to a Irish wake.  It was held at the home of the person who died. His wife met us all at the door. He was laid out in the "parlor."  My parents paid their respects and at the end of the coffin, which was standing up but laid back about 15 degrees was a Keg of beer tied to a coil box. Cups for the beer were placed next to the coil box and everyone took a drink to Edward. About 4 hours later there was music and laughing galore.  People were saying wonderful things about Edward.
I always remember that.  My father always said he wanted people to celebrate his life, not mourn his death.  I like that sentiment.  I understand the sadness of losing a loved one, but I can quickly grasp the idea to celebrate the life of that individual.
Not that I want to be posed in my Harley in the "parlor".  But I can get this story. I now how the guy feels and I don't find it offensive in any way. 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment