Sunday, June 19, 2011

NEW HAMPSHIRE PROHIBITS MOTORCYCLE-ONLY CHECKPOINTS

New Hampshire's slogan of Live Free or Die stands up to Federal money availability.
But read all the way through, as it seems like other States, including Virginia, are using PROFILING of Motorcyclist to write up violations. I am using the word profiling here as an example of ways the govern me can detain without Reasonable Suspicion a particular segment of society. What if the cops decided to pull over just Hybrid car drivers? (Prius, Honda, Toyota?) What if they wanted to pull over just Foreign car drivers? (BMW, Mercedes)
I am not sure what bothers me more. The fact that the money is available, or the fact that some LEO's are taking the money and using it. Scares the hell out of me. 
Previous news 
In an unprecedented victory on the motorcyclists’ rights front, New Hampshire became the first state to bar motorcycle-only roadside checkpoints. HB 148, co-sponsored by longtime biker activist State Rep. Sherm Packard, prohibits the acceptance of federal funding for the discriminatory roadblocks.

“No law enforcement agency of the state or a political subdivision of the state may accept federal funding the purpose of which is to establish motorcycle-only roadside checkpoints,” states the new law, which takes effect 60 days after passage.

Packard was one of the first biker-legislators in the country, and as an original member of the NCOM Legislative Task Force he literally wrote the book on “Getting Elected To Public Office”, a pamphlet that can be ordered free of charge through the National Coalition of Motorcyclists at (800) 525-5355 or via the internet at www.ON-A-BIKE.com.

On the flipside, however, Virginia recently joined New York, Georgia, Utah and Maine in conducting such controversial roadblocks, with the Arlington County Police Department setting up a motorcycle-only checkpoint on May 28th during the annual Rolling Thunder POW/MIA rally in Washington D.C. over Memorial Day weekend.

Also, on May 16th ABATE of New York held their annual Freedom Rally/Ride to the Capitol and as participants departed in small groups to return home, law enforcement units pulled over many of the riders and issued numerous citations of dubious legitimacy, primarily for helmets and exhausts.

“This ride has been held without incident for 15 years,” said Robert “Prospector” Boellner, a member of the NCOM Board of Directors representing the New England states, adding; “It is believed that this action by New York State Police was retaliation for a class-action lawsuit filed by AIM Attorney Mitch Proner against state police and DMV to stop the practice of motorcycle-only roadblocks.”


NCOM BIKER NEWSBYTES
Compiled & Edited by Bill Bish,
National Coalition of Motorcyclists (NCOM)


More worthless comments from me? 

When I get into a Helmet Law discussion with someone, I ask them straight out, "Do you ride?" My answer depends on their answer.  If they say no, I ask them if the government told them they had to wear a helmet while they were driving their car, what would they say? ("We have seat belts and air bags we don't need helmets is the most used answer) I ask them if they noticed that Nascar drivers all wear them? Then I ask at what speed limit should they wear one? 70 MPH, 80 MPH?   If they ride, I ask them what stupid thing they did that caused them to wear it. I hear from riders all the time who wear them that it saved their life during a crash or fall. I then ask these riders to tell me what stupid thing they did before the crash or fall. This gets them going....  The fact is MOST motorcycle accidents, over 65%, are caused by rider stupidity. Carrying to much speed in a curve,(Locking that rear brake) passing a car/SUV on the right at intersection and getting hit by car turning left,(They can't see you, but I know, you had the right of way) traveling to fast is my favorite.

So you may ask, why rant on helmets when the thread is on Roadblocks?  Easy.  FREEDOM.  F R E E D O M.  Don't Tread on Me.  I have to have MY freedom, not your freedom.  Can you get that?  

So I stay consistent!
  • I am against Roadblocks unless looking for a dangerous felon. So they look and you ain't the felon you go on your way, not detained because you have parking tickets, or outstanding court violation from Alaska.
  • I am against helmet laws, but respect those who wear them. I wear a helmet in States that have not passed freedom laws.
  • I am also against DUI checkpoints and still do not see how they are legal. Another scam, if you are not drunk, let me go. These should not be an excuse for cops to ticket you for Inspection, outstanding warrants or other miscellaneous BS.  (Look up your DUI enforcement, and you will see it has little success in finding drunks, but great success in finding people with no insurance, no State inspection, overdue owners card, and outstanding parking tickets. )
Rant over...









3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 19, 2011

    Helmet freedom - I wear one when I must and don't when I have the opportunity. I must agree, that the times I had one on, and was glad I did, was definitely preceded by something stupid. Did the helmet give a false sense of security resulting in dumb decisions or bad judgment because my guard was down for a while? Freedom by definition means "choice" - which carries over to other unrelated issues in these times of government over controlling our lives. Government controlling our lives = Commy > see the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post and good point... What is the 'next' freedom that will be taken away? I don't ride anymore, but I agree that 'targeted' stops (other than for felons) is not right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My biggest fear right now is that we are quickly losing the 4th amendment rights we have in the Constitution. Unreasonable searches and seizures, along with requiring any warrant to be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. We lost a young father, Marine Veteran with 2 tours in Afghanistan due to what I see as a unlawful abuse of the 4th amendment rights he was granted. He was shot 71 times by 11 LEO's and the explanation has not be disseminated YET!

    ReplyDelete