Sunday, July 24, 2011

Back From Vacation!

Me and the family had a great weather week in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The drive down took 9 hours and ride home was 9 and half hours.  The ride home would have been 8 hours but traffic snag had us stopped for one hour in 99 degree temps.  I literally flew across North Carolina on 40 West  and 95 North. I would never admit to speeding, but picture a number with an 8 and a 5 in it, now close your eyes and think about doing that number for 4 straight hours. You should come up with 11:00 to 3:00 and 346 miles in those 4 hours. Yawzer!!  Also you must know that I averaged 17.3 MPG at that speed. I passed a few Prius's, that's for sure!
Then we stopped as we passed Richmond. And stopped again, and then dead stopped!!  I pulled off the road and got gas and some food, but we trudged back into the traffic and sludged along. I am so glad I flushed and changed the radiator coolant. (Genius, I know) When we made it passed DC we got in the clear again!  Speed limit in Virginia was 70, NC was 70 and South Carolina was 65 and 70.  Maryland was mostly 55 DUMB....    Some 65, but mostly 55.  As I hit the 495 bypass around Wilmington, Debelaware I know I was almost home!  Even the infamous Blue Route was not backed up. 
So vacation fun?  Medieval Times, Pirates Voyage, Legends in Concert and Alligator Adventure!!  Beach, Pool, Food of all varieties. My number 4 son became 12 years old while we were there.


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the safe trip and glad y'all had a good time! If you hit the bottleneck just North of Richmond, that is pretty much a daily occurrence any more... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, it was ugly for over an hour. I waved to you as I was driving past Alexandria!

    ReplyDelete