Saturday, July 9, 2011

Biker Down....

I have been riding a motorcycle since I was a kid. Yamaha's, Honda's, Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Can Ams's, Victory's and Harley's. I am sure I have ridden almost 10 to 15 times the circumference of the earth.  I am one of those people that at one time ONLY had a bike to ride and didn't own a car. So when I tell you I have ridden everywhere and in every condition I am not embellishing my statements.
I became enthralled as a Safety Officer because I had a theory of my own and I needed a way to examine it closer. So with every motorcycle accident I had the chance to investigate I gathered more proof of my theory. My theory is that 85% of motorcycle accidents are due to lack of skills or just plain stupidity.
Yes, all of you can find the story of the bike that was rear ended at a traffic light. Yes, it was not the bikers fault, but I look deeper and see how much RED light was visible on the rear of his/her bike. Did the biker place a smoked cover on his tail light to make the bike look cool? Did the changeout to LED lighting impact the brightness?  I spend a great deal of time having my own hypothesis on the subject.

Carrying to much speed into a corner?  Yup...Happens.
Group riding and not looking ahead? Yup... Happens.
Driving to close the vehicle ahead? Yup... Happens.
(Especially with 50% being crossovers and SUVs now)
Driving to fast? Crotch Rocket drivers??  Yup... Happens.
How about having a cocktail??  Yup...Happens.

So here is what I want you to see.  Let's take 100 bikes and my statistics.
100 bike accidents and 50% have booze accidents leaves 50 bikes.
100 bike accidents and 25% carry to much speed into a corner. That's 25 bikes.
100 bike accidents and 12% are dumping crotch rockets for speed or showing off. 12 bikes.
100 bike accidents and 8% are driving to close behind and turned left in front me? 8 bikes.
100 bikes and 6% are caused by improper group riding technique? 5 bikes.

50+25+12+8+5 = 100%   How is that possible??  What my hypothesis says is that Statistically Motorcycle riders are their own worst enemy when it comes to riding. Obviously as you make the number of bikes increase the numbers do not skew equally. But my theory shows that a well educated, safe rider can easily avoid almost all the pitfalls that can impact them if they choose to do so. 

1 comment:

  1. As usual, attention (or lack of) to detail IS important...

    ReplyDelete