Monday, January 23, 2012

My Snowy Saturday

This past Saturday, my wife and I took the NRA Range Officer class in Valley Forge, PA
For those of you who do not know of it, below is a description.

The NRA Range Safety Officer program was developed in response to the demand for a nationally-recognized range safety officer certification. NRA Range Safety Officers are people who possess the knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to organizing, conducting, and supervising safe shooting activities and range operations.
This course does not encompass the functions and responsibilities of a Range Officer, who conducts NRA competitive shooting events as defined by Rule 11.5 of the NRA Rule Books.
NRA Range Safety Officers must be 21 years of age or older.
The Range Safety Officer course consists of: Range Safety Officer’s roles and responsibilities, range standard operating procedures, range inspection and range rules, firearm stoppages and malfunctions, and Range Safety Briefings which include emergency procedures. Candidates must also receive 90 percent or better on the written exam.

It was me, my wife and 4 other men. One man drove in nasty snowy weather from South New Jersey.
3 other men, who are Chief Range Officers taught the class. I found it interesting that they had a selection of just about every type of action for us to familiarize ourselves with. Rifles were clip fed, magazine fed, tube fed, single shots, etc. Shotguns were pump, auto, O/U, S/S, and single break open. Pistols were single action revolver, double action revolver, break open revolver and semi autos, hammered and Striker fired.  They actually had 2 muskets also. One was flint, other percussion cap.
I had handled or had seen all of these in my past as a gun salesman, but it was nice to see them bring so many guns for display!

The reason my wife and I took this class?  Because it was close and reasonably priced.
Will we ever use our status as Range Officers?  Not sure, no plans on that yet!






2 comments:

  1. Dang, I wish I'd known that, I'd have come up and taken it...sigh Glad y'all enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in to anything that gives you patches, what can I say!?!?! I'm going to need a new jacket!
    Would have been great to have you there. I was surprised class was so small. But they had 2 no shows with the weather.

    ReplyDelete