Sunday, November 3, 2013

NRA Certified Instructor and other bucket list items.




Many years ago I started helping the NRA with elections in my home state of Pennsylvania. I was working closely with the Election Volunteer Coordinator and resumed the 7th Congressional District for many years. I was hell bent on learning all the gun laws and spent a great deal of time learning, reading, training in the firearms/gun hobby. I wrote editorials for the local papers, met with many local elected officials and grew to be the go to guy in the Delaware County Area. I was the SPOC for the area. (Single Point of Contact)
Now I live in California, and I am gathering more knowledge by taking the various diversified NRA training classes in shooting. I already had my Range Safety Officer certification when I got here, and I took the Chief Safety Range officer class in October. Then yesterday, 11/2, I completed the 2nd step in the process. I completed the instructors class in Home Firearm Safety. So I have 2 of the many disciplines completed for teaching classes. I will move slowly as I don't think California will be the best place to make a living at doing this. You might notice I am taking all the safety specific classes. I have taken basic pistol and rifle in my past, and they all have excellent levels of safety. It is in every class the NRA runs, Safety first. Always, Always, Always. My next class to tackle will be the "Refuse to be a Victim Instructor class".

The seminar includes classroom instruction on a variety of crime prevention strategies, from criminal psychology to automobile crimes to cyber crime. Seminars can vary in length, and may be modified to suit the needs of a particular audience. This is not a firearms instruction course, and does not include instruction in physical combat self-defense. Seminars teach about common weaknesses that criminals may take advantage of, and teaches a variety of corrective measures that are practical, inexpensive, and easy to follow. Strategies include home security, carjack avoidance techniques, cyber safety, and use of personal safety devices. A complete seminar may last as long as eight hours and include the entire lesson plan, but a modified seminar may be as short as 90 minutes and address a specific topic. Students will receive the Refuse To Be A Victim student handbook, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim® brochure, NRA Become A Refuse To Be A Victim® Instructor Brochure, Refuse To Be A Victim® Firearms Supplement, and a course completion certificate.
 Now being as how I am California, this course seems to teach awareness and surroundings familiarity. We call it very broadly "Situational Awareness." I have heard people call this common sense training, but it is not common to be assaulted, and it is easy to take steps to NOT be a target. With the holidays coming up, I might not get to take this class until the 2014 year, but it will be my next step in progression of learning.

I have some questions for my CPA, also. If I start my own part time business then any guns I buy could be tax write offs, ammo, ear muffs, eye protection and uniform/training clothing. Seems like a no-brain er to run some classes and get some gas write offs and equipment discounts.  That will be a 2014 objective also.
I will keep you all informed of my progress.



2 comments:

  1. Good for you, and I'm doing the same thing. REMEMBER, get the NRA insurance, and I'd do an LLC too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and I will wait on teaching "officially" until I complete the next course. 1/17/2014. Glad to hear you are doing the same. After insurance and talking to CPA, I will approach the library in Burbank and see about using their training/meeting room. These folks will panic at the blue guns probably. Thanks for checking in. Insurance is a must and LLC might be the way to go. I am looking forward to any tax write offs.

    ReplyDelete