Sunday, February 16, 2014

4 Months?

How do you know you are really been busy? When you don't post to a blog in over 3-4 months.
So much has happened I won't spell it all out here. (I know someone will appreciate that)

But I will spout off about California things.  Like trying to get in touch with the NRA Volunteer in my area.
Most of you who read this know I am a dedicated volunteer to the cause.  I show up on time, I write the letters, I meet with the politicians and I speak well. Trying to get involved in Los Angeles is tough.
It took me 2 months to get someone to respond, let's call him Anthony, since that's his name. He e mails me that he has regular meetings, 2nd Tuesday of every month at a diner in Van Nuys. Nice little place, called Lulu's. I Google the place, dial into GPS and plan on being early for a 7:00 meeting.  As I mentioned earlier, I tend to be early and I get there at 6:30 PM. I sit quietly in the parking lot, which is large for California, and watch for vehicles coming and going through the lot attempting to spot a CalGuns, or NRA sticker in a rear window. A couple of pick up trucks come in that immediately get me attention and the men getting out of them fit the description.I get out, and inspect their trucks, no stickers. Hmmmm, I must be a freak.....   OK, time to go in.
I walk into the diner, nice place, small bar and I am met by a nice gentleman who asks me if he can help me. I tell him I am there for the NRA meeting.  He looks puzzled and grabs a book.  He turns back to me and says, he cant find anything. He says to go back in the meeting room and ask there. Ahhh, I think, the meeting room. The NRA guy would be there. I open the door to the meeting room and there sits 4 guys, 3 bearded and one looking like a guy who sits at the rifle range all day.  I say, "Hi guys, I am Dan, are one of you Anthony?" Nope is my immediate answer. I say, "this the NRA meeting?" He says, nope National Ski Patrol, but you can join us. I apologize and leave the room. So I head back to the manager and ask again, say Anthony, say the NRA..  Nope nothing.  OK, I am hungry, I eat. Meatloaf and garlic potatoes. Not spectacular, but didn't suck.
I go out to my truck and e mail Anthony. Then I call his number. Voice mail with the "Not Set Up message!" ARRghhhhhh.  I head to the apartment. E mail him again when I get there. Nothing.

The following morning I wake up and get an e mail response from Anthony. The meeting is 2nd Wednesday, not Tuesday. I re read his e mail, it says Tuesday right in it, but the date he mentions is Wednesday. 2nd Tuesday or the date? It was the date. (Think about typing that, which mistake would you believe?)
Since my calendar was open I just plan on visiting Wednesday. Everyone makes mistakes, right?

Wednesday evening arrives and I work until 5:45. I know the route now and it's easy driving even in rush hour. I get to the diner at 6:45. Parking lot is quiet and slow. I park in well lit spot and move towards the door. I see the same gentleman at the door and ask about NRA again for this night.,  He says, nope. MY BS meter is now flying.  One meeting room, no one in it, the rest of the place has a mix of like 8 people eating. Mostly 2 at a booth. So I sit at the counter and wait.  Order dinner again at 7:15. I am furious. I told the guy, Anthony I would be there, and he's a no show?  I eat and leave. Late night e mail to Anthony and I am not polite.  Response back comes following morning.

"Dan,
We were there, there was only 2 of us, me and a guy named Paul."  "We were sitting at a booth in the diner."
"Don't know how you didn't see us?"  REALLY??  I am the PA transplant, looking to help you and you don't greet the people, make no discernible identification known to me, no hat, or pin, or let the manager know???
Lastly, because I am a idiot, I attended on the 2nd Wednesday in February. This time I wore my blaze orange NRA cap. I walked up to 3 tables and asked if they were there for the NRA. One was 2 woman, if you ever think I am sexist. 

So I am mad as hell. I can see why California is screwed up. They allow people with interests, but no skills to be Election Volunteer Coordinators.(I guess beggars can't be choosers) So I contacted the NRA and volunteered myself. I will wait and see what happens.  I know the basics of planning, like giving all the folks all the info on where, when, and how to find me.  I can find a place to meet and I will never let a volunteer off my distribution list.  EVER!!  Anthony could learn some things from me.

I take the 2nd amendment serious. I truly believe that government, left unchecked, will get tyrannical. I don't mean it in a paranoid way, just a keep close tabs on our rights way. I also believe if the cops have access to ammo, or firearms, we should too.  Law abiding is law abiding.

Thanks for letting me vent!!





1 comment:

  1. Josey MontanaFebruary 18, 2014

    Dan you're doing the Lord's work, laboring in a foresaken land.

    Pace vobiscum frater meus.

    ReplyDelete